Entri Populer

Labels

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Degree Story: You choose

Ok, so you won't literally choose. However, I'm in a bit of a bind when it comes to what courses I'll be taking next year. I need to load up, as I'll be tight to finish enough courses to get my double major--I've abandonned all hopes of a double honours, that was insane--so I'll go for the full 7-course-per-semester load, the biggest load us artsmen can take. The problem is there are 6 full-year courses and 9 one-semester courses I want to take next year, including one mandatory full-year and two one-semester courses that are mandatory. The sucky part is, both one-semester courses are in the fall, so that leaves a hole in my second semester. Pretty much all the courses I'm going to list are courses I'd very much like to take, so any input will be helpful.

French Studies (in no particular order, quick translation of course names for you anglo people)
Full-year courses:
  • FRF320/322 The Civilisation of Francophony (basically, literature from outside the Western world)
  • FRF330/332 War and the military condition
  • FRF344/346 French stylistics (mandatory, but I could take it in fourth year)
  • FRF386/388 Eighteenth-century literature (it would make sense to take this one as I took the 16th-17th century course this year)

History:
Full-year courses:

  • HIF491/492 International Law (Actually, International Crises and Law and Crimes and war criminals: International Penal Law, would be a good choice as I might want to go into law later... I always loved that JAG show.)

One-semester courses:
Fall:

  • HIE387 Russia to 1917 (for some reason, the second part, History of the USSR isn't in the course list...)
  • HIF477 Introduction to terrorism (I'd take it in English, because I know the teacher, but he's heading in Afghanistan next year... might wait until he's back)

Winter:

  • HIF379 The Cold War
  • HIF476 Revolutionary War and Guerilla

Others:

Full-year courses:

  • ENE480/482 Commonwealth literature (first semester covers Africa, Carribean and Canada, the second covers Australia, New Zealand and India ... I could take one semester or the other, or both)

One-semester courses:
Fall:

  • CSE260 Introduction to Computer Concepts (mandatory at some point.. either next fall or the fall after that)
  • PSE301A Organizational Behaviour & Leadership (same as above)
  • ENE469 War Film
  • POF/E488 Laws of Armed Conflict

Winter:

  • ENE444 Twentieth Century Dramatic Literature
  • ENE464 American literature since 1945 (I'd actually prefer this one, and wouldn't take both 444 and 464)

So far, it looks like I'll take the three full-year French courses, and the International Law history course... I'd like to take two more History credits so I'd only need two French and two History courses in fourth year, but that Laws of Armed Conflict course and the English deparment courses sound pretty nice as well. I might end up taking the LoAC course, the two mandatory "others" courses, and fill up my winter semester with some History stuff. I'm a bit scared about taking two "law" courses in the same year, though, considering I don't know that much about it. As I'll also have a few mandatory courses in fourth year, I can't just put everything off to then. Besides, I don't really want a huge year in fourth year; I'd like to enjoy the end of my College experience.

Help, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment