Entri Populer

Labels

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fair winds and following seas, Captain

I've been trying to write something for the past two weeks, but inevitably words fail me.



As those of you in the blogsphere know, Capt(ret) Carroll Lefon, USN (aka Neptunus Lex) died a few weeks ago in a plane crash.



I was at sea at the time, doing the last phase of workups, and only saw the notice in passing while checking my e-mails--connectivity was bad and I couldn't open the message, and it was only later that I learned the circumstances.



Let's just say I wasn't in a great mood to "fight the war" in those last few hours of the "war" we were fighting.



I never had the pleasure of having a Guiness with the Captain, but I'm sure the experience would have been both uplifting and humbling. As a junior officer with barely a year and a half of actual fleet time, reading Lex' writings about leadership sometimes made me happy that I was following what seemed like a good track, and sometimes made me feel like I was drifting away and needed a swift kick in the pants to get back into it. Always, though, I could count on his posts to entertain and educate.



He'll be missed.



No comments:

Post a Comment