Entri Populer

Labels

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

MARS IV

So, I'm starting MARS IV on Monday. The last stop before The Fleet. In May, once I'm done, I'll have gone through two weeks of DC school learning to be an attack team leader and some other things, several weeks of simulator time, and six weeks of round-the-clock sailing. The academic phase is much shorter than it was on MARS III, and it's mostly a more advanced version of it.

I'm not quite sure I'm ready for it--I haven't done anything Navy-related in about a year and a half, and for the most part MARS IV doesn't re-teach you the skills you need. That said, I've spent the week reading the good ol' MARS III handbook over again and for the most part I remember what I learned back then.. my speed might be a little down, but that's normal, right?

The only part I'm actually scared for, is having to learn the electronic navigation system on the go. In the old days, we learned paper chart navigation, and we had a day on the SDM (electronic charts) to familiarize ourselves with it. Now, it's apparently 80% electronic and 20% paper. This is quite problematic, but I've had several people offer to help me out with it and give me tips, and my CTO (Course Training Officer, or something such) said she'll arrange for a "refresher" during pause week. I'd rather use pause week for R&R (maybe a trip to Tofino?) but, like Capt. Aubrey said, "we do not have time for your damned hobbies, sir!"

I'm a little scared, but considering how confident I felt over MARS III, I shouldn't run into too much trouble on MARS IV.

I'm still without the internet, but I'll endeavour to keep at least a weekly log of what happens on MARS IV.

Also, an "admin" note: if you came here looking for Christmas Ball information... seriously?! What were you hoping to find?!

No comments:

Post a Comment