Entri Populer

Labels

Friday, August 10, 2007

The end of NETPO

(Note: I wrote this the last day of NETPO, but forgot to post it. Oops.)

Wow, never expected that.

Today was the day we got (and signed) our course reports and, to be honest, I'm surprised at how good it was. I don't remember the whole thing, but it included “dedicated,” “positive attitude” and “very professional.” I think what our CTO told me sums up what he wrote fairly well: “a good, stand-up kind of guy.” Although it doesn't say I have good leadership, it says I have a lot of potential. The report also says I picked up seamanship, navigation and all that sea stuff really quickly (and luckily doesn't mention I didn't pick up my sea legs when we went to Supply). I also finished third highest in terms of academic scores—and the top is an ex-NCM who has six years in the Fleet.

All in all, I don't think there was anything negative in my course report. That's pretty cool, because my last two reports had some negative points. I think it's a mix of actually liking what we do in the Navy vice what I had to do in the Army mode of training we had on BOTC, and the different style of leadership in the Navy. It's probably more the former, though. I didn't get much of a chance to flex my leadership muscles on this course, other than when I was 2OOW on the Orca and had to con... and even then, giving conning orders doesn't take much in terms of leadership.

I think, in all, I'm starting to come together in terms of being an officer. I still have lapses where I lack confidence a bit, but I'm getting better at it. Both the CTO and the MARS head commented, on the course report, that I should have no problem completing MARS III (which has one of the highest failure rates of any course in the military), but of course I'll have to bust my ass anyway. The course that was running while I was on NETPO had six failures out of seventeen candidates. I've heard it goes up to half the course failing! Apparently, though, if being a MARS officer is really what you want to do, and you're really dedicated, it's not that hard.

Oh well, now I get two weeks off at home, and then I get back to the Narmy for eight months or so. After the bliss of being around the Navy all summer, it's going to be shock and awe to go back to the green machine. Still, it has to be done. You can't be a snotty ring-knocker without going to RMC first!

Anyway, I'm really happy about my summer and I hope my CTO next year will be as cool and as good as Lt Cooke.

Here's to a great Navy year!

No comments:

Post a Comment