Entri Populer

Labels

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Of YAGs, Orcas and submarines

Apparently, the organisation for the boats has changed, and we'll be assigned to one vessel for the entire two-week trip. The problem is, there are 60 or so of us, spread out over 3 YAGs (Yard Auxiliary General, the ancient wooden-hulled unarmed mine warfare/training vessels) and 2 Orcas (the newest class of training vessels, which have just started being active for training purposes; their bridge is modeled after the frigates'). While the Orcas are state-of-the-art, the YAGs are starting to go, and are having more and more problems. They're leaky, the black water treatment plant usually “burps” and just generally sucks, and generally they're almost-WW2-era ships, with all that comes with old junk.

It struck me as funny, though, because I was reflecting on that while watching Das Boot, especially during the scene where the Captain reflects that life is good: they have a comfy, well-aired boat, free home cooking, attractive wood panelling, etc. What's funny is that, the YAGs being so tiny and having so many people onboard, the wardroom probably feels as cramped as that of a u-boat.

It got me thinking: I'd really prefer to get on the Orcas because, let's face it, I like comfort. But at the same time, the instructors on the Orcas tend to be more anal about things. On the YAGs, “you get to have more fun,” or so we're told. Also, the Orcas can't dock everywhere; they have to just anchor off the harbour in some places, which means that while the YAG crews will be off in various towns getting wasted, the Orca crews will be standing anchor watches and getting rocked to sleep.

What really has me thinking is that if I'm going to apply for subschool as soon as I make Lieutenant (that's the soonest you can apply; at that point you choose your D-level qual and subs is one of them) I might as well trythe cramped, uncomfortable quarters. Oh, and the whole not-having-a-cellphone-or-email-access, too. We'll be allowed to bring cellphones and the like onboard, but on subs, that's a no-no. Well, it's not so much that you can't, just that it's useless. Cellphones tend not to work too well in the middle of the ocean, under 100 feet of water. And the various comms systems are not exactly broadbend: you get hockey and football scores, a little bit of news, and... yeah, that's about it. No e-mails, no calls, nothing. At least the subs now have big-screen TVs in the wardroom and the various messes, and I think you can bring a laptop onboard, so you can have some entertainment. Of course, those TVs only show whatever the crew brought on DVD or VHS, but still, you can probably go through a short assignment without having to watch the same movie twice.

Anyway, no matter what class I get to go on, I'll make the most of it. If I get the Orcas, then, great! I'll get better accomodations, more modern equipment, navigation equipment that ressembles that of frigates, and generally a better (technologically) vessel. If I get the YAGs, well, I get to sail on a piece of history and pull into every harbour, and I get to have more fun. And they'll probably pack less of us on YAGs, as they're smaller and the Orcas are just plain made to carry more trainees.

Here's to sea phase!

No comments:

Post a Comment