Entri Populer

Labels

Friday, July 20, 2007

Das Boot: Orca

Well, I've been assigned to the Orca, at least for the first week. They might switch people around for the second week so I might end up going to a YAG for the second week of the trip.

I'm pumped, but there's a LOT of stuff to be done, and with only 15 “crew,” we'll probably be busy most of the time, with some nightly watchkeeping to be done. Oh well, it'll be pretty fun to do most of those jobs... and hopefully the boring jobs (like engineering roundsman and supply officer) will be filled by people whose job it is to do these things: engineers and log people.

I don't really know what—or how much—to bring. It's only two weeks, but two weeks can turn into an eternity if you don't pack enough “fun” stuff: computer, books, magazines, that kind of stuff. Also, I need to be sure I bring all the “important” stuff: uniforms (we have a whole bunch of NCDs, the big ugly floater jacket, the “canary suit” or raingear, etc), civvies, some books and other documents we need for the trip (various forms and such we have to get filled, the rules of the road book, etc), and so on. We were told that a good rule of thumb is to bring a kitbag's worth, at the most.

As if packing wasn't enough, I have to review the rules of the road (the COLREGS) a little bit; we were told we'll “discuss” that kind of thing when we're sailing around, and knowing my CTO, who also happens to be the OIC of the Orca, he'll probably quiz whoever happens to be on the bridge about anything he can think of. I also have to study for the final theory test, on Monday. It's all about seamanship evolutions, which I'm not too good with.

The port stops we'll make seem all right, though for the most part all I know about where we'll be stopping is whatever other people told me. I'm just glad the Orca has showers; going into public showers at random harbours would (and maybe will) suck. Having to go do my laundry will suck too, but at least you can go a few days without that.

I can't wait for us to get going. I probably won't post anything until we come back, though I will try to write while we're gone. Hopefully it won't be too boring!

Until then, auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment