Entri Populer

Labels

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Relieved and peeved.

First, the relief. I finally finished my last exam this morning, meaning I'm officially on vacation (from school, at least) until September. And I got a pimpin' good mark on my last French paper--86%. Almost all the points I lost were either style (a few sentences were awkward) or spelling. Most of the comments consist of "good," "very good," "excellent," and "bravo." I also got a few smileys (which means the teacher really liked what was written) and some other comments to the effect of my writing being really good.

Now, the peeve. While I was getting ready this morning, I was listening to Radio-Canada on the radio (for those not in the know: they're like the BBC, they do radio AND TV) and apparently this bunch of pot-smoking, communist, bad-smelling, unshaven, revolutionary, democracy-hating, anti-US, anti-everything* activists decided to try and get the Chief of Defense Staff for war crimes. Now, I'm not saying we're infallible, but the only evidence of wrongdoing is some Taliban saying some random bullcrap. Not quite what I'd call prime witnesses. Beyond that, there is not the shadow of a proof that what is alleged actually happened. Besides, where are the protests and the whining and bitching about the war crimes the Taliban commited, and the crimes against humanity they and their friends Al Qaeda commited? Shouldn't we arrest all Taliban and AQ leaders and see them hang in the Hague? Nooooo, they're so awesome, says Mr. Hippie Protester. We're just oppressing them with our democracy, equal rights for women, free elections, and the right to not get shot because you don't grow a Gandalf beard, after all. Kids were so much happier before they could run around and fly kites! Women so much prefered being beaten to death because they stepped foot outside of their kitchen! And the men just loved watching their wives and daughters being brutally raped and killed before being killed themselves if they disagreed with the local Taliban leader. C'mon!

Afghanistan has known decades of war, and now things are getting better, because some Western countries saddled up and are cleaning house and bringing over food, water, medical supplies, and the expertise to make things better. I guess the hippy whiners prefer having something to whine about, rather than the problem getting fixed.

*I don't know if they smell bad, but they fit the "random hippie whiner" profile

No comments:

Post a Comment