Entri Populer

Labels

Friday, September 21, 2007

Just a little something to think about

Something came up last night as I was dancing with this girl... I've only been swing dancing for, well, all of four days (I started Monday) and so I still don't really have a clue what I'm doing; I just try to do as well as I can.

So, I was dancing with this girl, (who, incidentally, is very cute) and we came upon the subject of leading and following, and she said it was good that I was actually leading even though I'm still not really good at dancing yet, because usually guys kinda let the girl (the follow) lead if she's more experienced, even though they're supposed to be leading. It got me thinking (and I actually said something to that effect) that if I wasn't confident enough to "lead" in a swing dancing class, which is (almost) totally safe, while getting feedback and instructions from people who know what they're doing... how the hell would I be expected to, one day, lead men into battle when their lives are at stake?

Sure, I don't feel that confident about dancing. I don't know all the moves perfectly and I definately need to improve on the footwork. But it's just like being in charge of people, or being the OOW: you might not know everything you'd like to know, and there might be things you're just not comfortable with, but you gotta be confident and if you make a mistake, you just get on with it and hope for the best. Better to screw up a bit (step on someone's toes, say) while being confident at the front, than not screw up but be following someone else.

It's kind of funny, though, how being at RMC makes me appear so confident when I go into the civilian world. Ah well, as they say, "it's all good."

Stay classy, RMC. And try to forget about this whole Wednesday March madness... at least until next Tuesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment