Entri Populer

Labels

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bali Tattoo Artist : Made Della

Made Della is one of some artists who has been in Kuta, Bali for quite a long time. He started to wrestle with tattoo art since 1989. And from 1994, he began to be a tattoo artist in Kuta. According to him, at that time there were only few tattoo studios in Kuta, like Demon Tattoo, Baladewa, Mr. Dolphin, and Gungde.

After some time becoming a tattoo artist in some studios, in 2009 he decided to reopen his own studio named Black Angel. Recently, he has a plan to invite Bali tattoo artists establishing Bali Tattoo Artist Club again. Because for him, business is business, but solidarity and togetherness need to keep going. And here is a brief interview between Magic Ink and Made Bella.

What makes you holding out in tattoo art for so long?
We didn’t have any other job to do, hahahaha... And maybe tattoo was the only good thing for my life, hahaha…

When did you get your first tattoo?
Back in that 1989. Gungde made it. Besides, he fully supported me to be a tattoo artist. He always supports me.

Why did you decide to reopen your own studio?
If I used to work for other people, then I wanted to have my own. Moreover, I’m preparing a new generation, like Agus (Della’s son-red). So that Black Angel always exists.

You used to have a studio, why was it closed?
I did the business with my family, and there were some problems about financial quotient.

You are one of the people who have been holding on the tattoo industry in Kuta for quite a long time, how do you see its development?
Me and my friends used to compete more from our works, not from the rate. So please, for Bali tattoo artists, don’t compete in rate. We live from tattoo, so don’t bring each other down.

In tattoo, what style do you tend to?
Actually I can do all of them, but I like Chinese and Japanese style more.

And about BTAC (Bali Tattoo Artist Club), in your opinion, what’s the reason it does not go well?
I myself don’t understand too much about it, because it happened when I went to Germany. I was in Germany for 3 months, and when I got back it had already fallen apart. But I really think that BTAC should be established again. There are so many foreign artists opening studios in their rent houses and without any permit. Their visa is visa for holiday, not for working. If we’re not solid, we can be colonized. I mean, colonized in another version. If people with big capital come in and we’re not ready and solid, it’s possible that Indonesian artists are scraped and work to them. But again, for Bali tattoo artists, we don’t need to argue about rate. Also for the works, from the first I learned, up to now I still learn. Just keep learning, no need to get above oneself.

But it doesn’t mean that you’re scared to compete, right?
Oh no... I just want that artists stop arguing about rate.

And for the high rate of guide, what do you think as a tattoo artist? Do you feel harmed?
No, not really. We still depend on their service. Unless we have big capital, hehehe.. That’s why we need BTAC. It covers up these matters.

Ok, we wait for the BTAC! Last words?
For Bali tattoo artists, let’s remake the organization, don’t walk by ourselves. For Magic Ink, I always support this magazine. Who knows if the togetherness can help our business to grow, it will affect Magic Ink, too. Right? Hahaha... Let all tattoo artists hand in hand to make Magic
Ink better

No comments:

Post a Comment