Entri Populer

Labels

Sunday, February 7, 2010

STATION JULIET

So, week one of formation manoeuvering is over. One more week of developmental runs, then we go in for assessed.

For those not in the know, formation manoeuvering is... well, it's fairly straightforward, really. Ships manoeuver in formation. There is a guide ship (creatively named The Guide) and other ships form up around it--then move around to different positions. During manoeuvres, it looks a bit like this:



We're using the PCT (Orca) model in the simulators, which is a little weird since last time I was in the sims we were using Frigates. That said, we'll sail on Orcas for six weeks, so it's just as well that we're using them to practice.

Manoeuvres are fun. Well, I think so, anyway, but that's probably just because I got the hang of it really quickly and I'm good at it. It probably also helps that the Mentors (retired Captains and above who act as Captains of the simulated ships, and provide feedback on whatever we happen to do in the NABS) are a lot more mellow on MARS IV than they were on MARS III. This time around, they coach you and provide pointers, rather than make you feel like a complete retard. Or maybe it's just because I'm doing pretty well and quickly heading to the level needed for assessments.

This week, and for a few more training days, we get to have six minutes between each "EXECUTE", but for the last days and the assessment phase, we only get five minutes. Luckily, my Friday run got to that standard, and the run before that was pretty much there, too.

I'm not going to count chickens before they hatch, or however that goes, but I think I'm on track to fly through manoeuvres assessments, and move on to DC school--which I'm sortof dreading, especially if we still use CHEMOX--and, finally, sea phase.

I thought I'd be updating my blog a lot more, now that I don't really have to study or, really, do anything at night, but it seems boring to tell people about sitting around a simulator bridge all day.

In other news, I've put in my posting preferences. The top three students are "guaranteed" their preferred posting, or so I'm told, but after that it's up in the air. I asked for the West Coast all the way, Destroyer, Frigate, Tanker. I'd rather avoid the Tanker because, well, it's a big, fat, lumbering target. And it doesn't really have any weapons. And it's ugly. The list goes on and on, but being on the West Coast is more important than not being on a Tanker, so I'll go for it if I have to.

I'd much rather get the Destroyer, though. In no small part because it just sounds cool. I'm also told it'll be sailing a lot in the near future, which means sea time, which in turn means, hopefully, getting my ticket earlier. Even if it doesn't, I feel like it's a bit like YAG time--it's just extra street cred.

Also, BZ to the Danish Navy for their anti-pirate actions this week, (they might be trying to steal our islands, but we're on the same side) and to the FBI for arresting BG McSoulpatch.

Finally, pearl of wisdom of the week, courtesy of Lt(N) Dallin:
Never trust a Lieutenant with a CD, or a Lieutenant-Commander without one.
(Note: a CD is the Canadian Forces Decoration, "awarded to officers, and to the men and women of the Canadian Forces who have completed twelve years of service" with "a good record of conduct during the final eight years of claimed service." Your humble servant will be eligible for one in 2017, hopefully after I get to two-and-a-half.)

Well, that's about all I have to say for tonight... Keep your stick on the ice!


No comments:

Post a Comment